Don’t let all the fried food and sweets during Navratra fasting sway you off your heath goal. Go for boiled, roasted and baked food for healthy fasting, says an expert.
A nutritionist Anjali Hooda Sangwan lists how one can maintain a healthy lifestyle during Navratras, a nine-day Hindu celebration.
* Don’t fall for fried snacks and fried potatoes that are so common and increase your body inflammation leading to weight gain.
* If you prefer potatoes, then have roasted or boiled one medium size potato per day with rock salt.
* Have ramdana ladoo also called amaranth cakes in moderation, since they are sweet, try the ones with pure jaggery or organic honey
* Go for roasted flax seed with favourite fruit.
* Gluten free flour buckwheat flour chapatti/bread is great for weight loss in everyday life too.
* Sendha namak or rock salt is great low sodium pure salt which should be used in everyday cooking.
* Fox nuts (makhana) are Rich source of Protein and Carbohydrate. Best eaten roasted and sprinkled with rock salt or sendha namak. But avoid the fried one.
* Eat high fiber and high pectin fruits like apples and pears.
* Increase intake of water and increase detoxing by having herbal teas like jasmine and dandelion root tea.
navratri thali by me-and-my-lifestyle