The leader of the Opposition in Canberra, The Hon. Anthony Albanese wished the Indian Australian community on the even of India’s Independence Day 2020. The following is the text of his message:
Indian Independence Day
Coming just two years after the end of World War II, India’s independence was a beacon of light after a period of profound darkness.
It was a “tryst with destiny”, as Prime Minister Nehru so famously called it. And as the clock struck midnight, a great nation rose to its feet and embraced that destiny: a destiny of life, freedom, power and the responsibility that comes with it. Seventy-three years later, India still stands tall as the world’s biggest democracy and as a remarkable, vibrant and diverse country.
In this pandemic-afflicted year, the celebrations of this momentous anniversary will obviously be of a different nature. But even though the circumstances are different, the sentiments are the same.
As leader of the Australian Labor Party, I take great pleasure in wishing you a proud and joyous Independence Day.
Anthony Albanese MP
Federal Member for Grayndler
Similar Posts by The Author:
- Opening EduTECH, Minister Hutchins announces Vocational Pathways for teachers
- Fair Work Ombudsman takes University of Melbourne to court
- International Beer Day 2022 – Raise a glass to celebrate Australian beer
- AI ECTA – Australia India Business Summit 2022 at Indian Consulate Melbourne
- Grants now open for Multicultural Festivals and Events